Have a Safe “Free Fishing Weekend” June 2 & 3, 2012
Ever heard the expression, “A bad day fishing is better than a good day working?” National Fishing Week is June 2 – 10, 2012 and you have the opportunity to indulge in your favorite pastime for free this weekend in Kentucky and Indiana.
On June 2nd and 3rd, no fishing license is required to fish in any Kentucky waters for both Kentucky residents and non-residents. In Indiana, children age 17 and younger never need a license to fish but during Free Fishing Weekend this weekend, all Indiana residents can fish in Indiana waters without a license.
The Becker Law Office encourages you to experience the great outdoors with your loved ones this weekend and enjoy fishing for free. Remember to be mindful of these boating safety tips when out on the water:
- Always wear a lifejacket
- Don’t drink alcohol while boating
- Check the short and long-term weather forecast before going out on the water
- Prepare a float plan by letting someone know where you’re going and when you expect to be back so they can contact the Coast Guard or other rescue authority if you don’t return as expected
- Learn to swim before you go boating
Another great resource for information about fishing and boating is www.takemefishing.org where you can find links to education and safety courses as well as guides to boating basics, maps of rivers and lakes, and tips for safe boating.
Follow these links for additional safety tips and information about fishing and boating in Kentucky and Indiana:
- National Safe Boating Council: www.safeboatingcouncil.org
- Kentucky Fish & Wildlife: www.fw.ky.gov or 1-800-858-1549
- Indiana: www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild